Thursday 23 October 2008

Mika Jane Shephard


Mika Jane Shephard is one of the illustrators who exhibited at the New Blood exhibition in London. What I liked about their work is how text has been taken out if its usual context, from the page, on to a new and exciting material. These acrylic cut-out letters remind me of the work of Rob Ryan, because of their hand-made feel. In August, I contacted Mika regarding their work.

LEANNE: I am about to begin a project called "Illustrated Alphabet" and I was hoping you could provide me with information about your typographic work and the inspiration behind it. Also, I am curious as to how you cut out shapes and letters from the acrylic fruit shapes.

MIKA JANE SHEPHARD: I am really pleased you liked my fruity compliments. I enjoyed that project a lot and I am so happy with all the positive feedback I have had from it!

I had the acrylic laser-cut using a new machine that the textile department has just funded for uni. I drew the illustrations by hand and then transferred then into illustrator, via scanning and then creating an outline around each shape (a time consuming process but worth it in the end!)

Inspiration came from everything really, from current advertising for similar brands and products to contemporary illustrators. Have a look at the following books...

Hand To Eye (Contemporary Illustration)
Hand Job (Hand-rendered type)
- for these two, Amazon's used and new is the cheapest!

Good luck and all the best for your final year!! Make the most of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment