Thursday 23 October 2008

Jeremy Pettis


It was suggested to me by Tamara to look at the work of Jeremy Pettis, a graphic designer/typographer. One of his projects, "Twenty-Six Types of Animals", is a range of different typefaces that relates to a certain animal, in order of the alphabet. For example, A is for Alligator, B is for Bear and so on. What I find remarkable about each of the 26 different fonts is that, without referring to the appearance of the animal, they perfectly represent the characteristics of each. They contain an essence of what makes that animal unique. For example, the fluid line of the word "Dolphin" in the image above reminds me of the splashes that dolphins can create when diving but I wonder, if the font spelled a different word, would it still remind me of a dolphin? I think each typeface works best representing the animal in which it is spelling as if the above text spelled the word "Bear", it would be clear to see that the style of the type and the characteristics of the animal do not match.

See the entire Twenty-Six Types of Animals here: www.jeremypettis.com

No comments:

Post a Comment